Tuesday, August 13, 2013

It's All Up To Us Now

Mom left at the end of the week and so it was our time to do it on our own. We were actually ready. I was feeling much better. I could actually sit down and walk normal so that was a major milestone. I thought I would cry when my mom left but I didn’t because I knew I would see her in a few weeks, plus I was ready to take on the challenge of being a mom. Jon was very confident that we could do this and WE DID! I am not going to say the first 6 weeks were easy but they were manageable and we learned quickly that we had to work as a team. We took turns getting up at night to feed and change diapers so the other one could get a few more ZZZZ’s.


 
Jon and I kept Beau in our room for only 6 days! We decided that we would get more sleep if he slept in his own room. We were not getting much sleep with him in our room because he made so many noises. He really did sound like a little piglet rooting around in this bed. We were fully equipped with a video monitor and it was very sensitive to sound so we felt confident that he would be find in his room. My cousin’s wife Aimee and her mom gave us one of the best gifts ever! It is a little “hammock” as we call it, made by Fisher Price and it was the perfect thing for Beau to sleep in. It allowed him to be slightly reclined, it rocked and he fit snug in it so he could not turn over. We LOVE this hammock for than I can tell you! It is portable so we can take it on trips with us or over to a friend’s house for dinner. It really has made our life so much easier.  At the beginning Beau was going to bed around 9 so we were getting up at 1, 4, 7 and then he would nap off and on during the day. Around 2 months he was getting in a much better routine. He would go to bed around 9 and wake up around 4am and then get up for the day around 7. Finally around week 9 he was sleeping through the night! It was an awesome feeling the first time he did that! Jon and I both woke up in a panic and I said “Jon, did you get up with Beau last night?” He said “No, did you?” And I smiled and said “NO.” I quickly went into his room and saw that he was sound asleep! His new sleep pattern was going to bed between 7-8pm and then waking up around 6 for about 15 minutes which was just enough time for us to change him and then would sleep until 8-9am. WOW this really changed our life. We finally did not have the “fear” of going to bed but knowing that we would not get a full night sleep. We finally could go to bed and know that we were going to get some good sleep.

 
Jon and I were talking the other day about how rough the first six weeks are. As a new parents who have never been through this wild journey, you just don’t know how lack of sleep will mess with your mind. We were getting frustrated with each other and with all kinds of things for no real reason. We could not understand why we were getting frustrated until we started getting good sleep. It is like we have just come out of some crazy fog and are back to normal. Jon’s parents live in South Huntsville and have been a huge help. I am really not sure what we would do without family living close by. They will sometimes keep Beau on a Saturday or Sunday for a few hours so Jon and I can either go to the store, shop, go to the pool to relax or just sleep. This “free” time that we have is much needed. I love to run into a store and not have to take a baby carrier, diaper bag and be on a time crunch in fear that Beau might have a meltdown at any moment. I can get so much more done by myself! On the flip side of that, I know that Beau LOVES his time with the Reynolds. They hold him, tell him stories and just love on him for the entire time he is with them. They are great grandparents! I with my family lived closer so my family could get some regular Beau time too!



No comments:

Post a Comment