Monday, March 24, 2014

Oily Lotions

As you can probably tell by now, I am really enjoying my essential oils. This past weekend I gathered up some supplies and made my own lotion. I have a friend who recently posted some wonderful recipes on her blog so I gave them a try. It was fun to make!

The base:

1/2 lb shae butter

4 oz grapeseed oil

4 oz coconut oil (warm until liquid)

*the yellow shae butter is the most raw form but it does not smell too good

Whip for 5 minutes or so with your kitchenaid mixer or hand mixer.  It'll get big and fluffy and creamy.


Divide the base into glass jars and add oils.


*Note: it's important to use glass containers as the oils break down in most plastics.
(I used glass half pint mason jars, and it was perfect.)
There is enough base to make 4 batches of creams with about 3/4 cup base each.

I made 4 creams: pain cream, sleepytime cream, vapor rub, and eczema cream.

Pain cream:
Using about 1/2 cup of base, I mixed in 10 drops each of panaway, valor, and peppermint, and lemongrass.  
I recently read about a "heavy duty" pain cream that included 10 drops of frankincense, idaho balsam fir, and copaiba in addition to the others.  I will add those next time.

Eczema cream:
Using about 1/2 cup base, I mixed in 10 drops each of lavender, frankincense, and melalucea A (tea tree oil).

Sleepytime cream:
Using 1/2 cup base, I mixed in 15 drops each of Peace & Calming and lavender.  


Vapor rub
Using 3/4 cup base, add 8-10 drops each of peppermint, eucalyptus (supports respiratory health) and lemon.  SO perfect to rub a bit on the chest to help a stuffy nose, or on the feet with socks to soothe a cough.


I also have the recipe for an energy cream:  1/2 cup of base with 15 drops each of Motivation, En-R-Gee, and Peppermint.  I've heard it's awesome!

How much fun are these oils? You can do so much with them and make them last a long time! After the first night of using the Eczema lotion I could tell a huge difference in the softness of my skin. Jon had me rub some pain cream on his lower back and he could not get over how good his back felt later that night. The creams are magic! Just give them a try and see!




No comments:

Post a Comment