Wednesday, May 14, 2014

My First Mother's Day


This was my first Mother's Day and I have to say that it might have been one of the best weekends ever. It could have been equal or better than my birthdays have been. Jon went into Mother's Day weekend with a plan to be as nice as possible, spoil me and give me the most thoughtful gift imaginable. Friday night we both took Beau with us to eat wings which has recently been our favorite Friday night go-to dinner spot. There is a great wings place near our house and it is a dump but has some of the best wings we have ever eaten. It is funny how some of the dumpiest hole in the wall restaurants have some of the best food. After we ate we went to rent a Redbox movie then headed home. We are always on Beau’s sleep schedule so we do not stay out late on weekend nights anymore unless Beau is at his grandparents’ house. Beau’s bedtime is between 6-7pm so that is our limit for being out. Once we got home we put Beau to bed and we started the movie and vegged out on the couch. It was a great relaxing start to the weekend.

Saturday started out by Jon letting me sleep in which he got up with Beau. That is always a treat because Beau wakes up between 6-6:30 on the weekends so there is no sleeping in at our house. I slept until around 7:30 then joined the guys in the living room for coffee and breakfast. We made our plans for the day and took showers. Jon needed to do a little work so Beau and I went to Walmart and got food for Mother’s Day lunch on Sunday. It was fun getting out with Beau. He really enjoys watching all the people at Walmart. Once we got home and unpacked the car Beau ate some food then went down for a nap. He only slept 30 minutes so that allowed time for me to unpack the car and put the groceries away. By this time Jon was finished with is work and he surprised me with my Mother’s Day gift. Last week he asked me what I wanted so said anything you want to give me but if you give me flowers I want to be able to plant them. I just hate when he spends money on flowers that die in a few days. I like to enjoy things for a little longer. So Jon showed up with a blackberry vine plant and a blue berry bush which was the most thoughtful gift in my eyes. We have been talking about putting some fruit plants along our back fence and this will be perfect because they will produce fruit every year. I have a very thoughtful husband!
 After the gift reveal we piled in the car and headed off to Lowe’s. When we moved into our house last year I was 7 months pregnant so we did not spend time or money on our yard. Jon did good cutting the grass every two weeks because we were getting use to our new life with a baby. This year we decided we were going to spend some time and money on our yard to make it look great for Beau’s 1st birthday party. So we went to Lowe’s, piled 2 carts sky high with things like mulch, plants, flowers, plant food, etc. Beau enjoyed every second of our time at Lowe’s. He loved shopping outside in the garden center and seeing all the people.






On our way home Jon stopped at one of my most favorite places in the world which is a snowcone hut! He got me a cotton candy snow cone and it sure made my heart sing! He really knows how to spoil me!


Once we got home we unloaded the car and got to work. The first thing we needed to do was mow the yard. I raised my hand and said I would do that so Jon could rest up before our big afternoon. He always does so much more than I do in the yard so it was only fair to let him rest and watch Beau while I mowed, plus I actually find mowing relaxing.
I cut the back yard and then we put the mulch out in the front flower beds and some on the side. This sure made our house look amazing and very updated. It is crazy how a little mulch can make your plants look so good. That was a great suggestion by my hubs! After that we added a new garden next to our fence for all of our vine plants and put some lattice up on the fence for the plants to grown on. Then we planted some rose bushes and Jon planted my Mother’s Day gifts. By this point our yard looked amazing. We had worked so hard and spent some money making it look like we wanted it to. Beau followed us around all day and “help” by making us laugh and spending time with us. It was a fun family day and I could not have asked to do it with anyone else. By this point were all in need of a bath so Beau was the first one up. He was the stinkiest little boy when he got into the tub but came out clean as a whistle. He went to bed with no issue and slept late on Sunday.

Sunday was Mother’s Day and it was a glorious day. Once again Jon got up with Beau so I could sleep in. We all snuggled on the couch, ate breakfast and had our coffee until it was time to get moving. We were having the Reynolds over for a late lunch so we had clean the house, make the food, set the table and make sure Beau had a nap. We all took showers and Jon entertained Beau while I started cleaning and cooking. Beau went down for a three hour nap so we got a ton of stuff done. By the time the Reynolds got to our house around 1:45 we had everything done and were sitting down. I set the table with my grandmother’s china and it looked beautiful.


We had a great time together and loved catching up with everyone. The Reynolds left around 4 and we spend the rest of the afternoon relaxing on the couch. I was sad to see the weekend end because it was truly one to remember. I know I am loved and I know that people appreciate me which makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment